Results from the Final round
- Round 7 pgn from Alex Nagorski
- Bruce Watson went into the last round a full point ahead of Ang, Ward and Hague. After a long game he claimed a win against Alphaeus to finish on 6.5 points a full 1.5 points ahead of the second place players Mike Steadman, Gordon Morrell, William Li and Keith Ward.
- In the Steadman vs Hague game Mike’s unorthodox opening left him slightly behind but after Ben’s attack left him with pieces stranded Mike was able to build a huge centre and Ben’s defense could not hold. In the last couple of moves Ben tries two traps to salvage the game but Mike saw past them to win.
- Besides Steadman there were 8 other upsets during the round including Rodney Li against Eric Wu, Virginia Milne vs Caroline Yan and Jasmine Zhang against Simon Lyall.
- In the last round the 3 leaders Euan McDougall, Neil Sonnekus and Mike Steiner had already played each other so had separate games.
- Mike Steiner ended up being the sole winner of the 3 ( Neil drew and Euan lost) so capture the grade win.
- Upsets were Leo Li beating Euan McDougall and Hugh Gao drawing with Renae Ghadiali.
- Final placing was Mike Steiner 1st on 6 points; Niel Sonnekus 2nd on 5.5 and Euan McDougall, Leo Li and Mathew Steadman 3rd= on 5.0
The Vega website for the tournament is