The Autumn Cup is the first tournament using the new start time of 7pm. We didn’t quite make that but we were going around 7:10pm.
A couple of last minute entries means that we have a record of 70 Entries with 40 in A Grade and 30 in B Grade. This presents a problem with space, since we only have 32 boards at present. The 3 board shortage is bridged by byes and by starting a couple of games late. Specifically Shawn Hui and Charlotte Wen both arrive a late so they (and their opponents) will take over the first 2 boards that become free.
The Vega website is online for both grade:
Results in round one saw the top half playing the bottom half so there were only a few upsets.
In the A Grade
- Scott Treanor beat Simon Lyall (who probably spent a bit too much time not looking at the board)
- Richard Taylor took a draw against Virginia Milne while materially ahead but low on time and not having an easy path forward
- Wayne McDougall got a piece ahead against newcomer Andrei Toporkov and converted it to a win.
B Grade upsets were:
- Toby Zhang drew with Mathew Steadman
- Isaac Yuan beat Temu Maroroa
- Renae Ghadoali beat newcomer Gen Li
Looking forward to Round 2 I have created a draft draw for each grade below. This is very much a draft and any additional byes will cause changes.
As of now the byes for Round 2 are:
- Stephen Peak
- William Li (and also round 3)
- Richard Taylor
- Tom Fu (also for round 3)
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye.