Another reminder to let us know if you are going to miss a round. It means we can give you half a point instead of zero. Also if you don’t tell us then we schedule you to play somebody and then they don’t get a game or start late when we shuffle them around.
On a more positive note I have updated the correct country for most players. This means we are down to just two from “Jamaica”.
Results from this week
- The clash of the unbeaten players on board 1 saw Bruce Watson beat Mike Steadman to go into the lead by himself. Bruce is now half a point ahead of Ben Hague on 3.5 and 6 players on 3.
- John Duneas continued his good run by drawing with Alexei Kulashko
- Keith Ward came very close to beating Alphaeus Ang but miscalculated and allowed Alphaeus to squeeze a draw.
- Andrew Michael nicely played an endgame to upset Eric Wu while Rodney Li got the biggest upset beating 300-points better Hilton Jacobs
- The top board clash saw Neil Sonnekus upset Mike Steiner.
- Euan McDugall’s win saw him join Neil as the last 2 unbeaten players.
The Vega website for the tournament is
As of Sunday the following byes have yet been received for round 5:
- Ying Wang
- Aaron Wang
- Daniel Gong
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for both grades is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes