First up a reminder that Monday the 6th of June is Labour Day and the Centre will be closed. Round 6 of the Autumn cup will be on Monday the 13th of June.
Next I’d like to send out a huge thanks to Alex Nagorski for entering the top 8 boards in A Grade. The pgn is linked below.
Results from this week
- A PGN of round 5 games has been entered by Alex Nagorski
- Board 1 saw a draw between Ben Hague and Bruce Watson so Bruce remains in the lead
- The next two boards all saw draws with Gordon Morrell and Allen Fan managing to hold Alexei Kulashko and Mike Steadman to draws.
- John Duneas won against Simon Lyall on board 4 to join Ben Hague in 2nd place on 4 points
- Keith Ward managed to pick up an early piece from Paul MacDonald for an upset on board 7
- There were a few upsets further down the field although some were with people whose provisional ratings might be inaccurate.
- The two undefeated players Neil Sonnekus and Euan McDougall meet on board one. Euan won to leave him in the outright lead on 5 points
- In second place on 4 points are Neil Sonnekus, Mike Steiner and Temu Maroroa
The Vega website for the tournament is
As of Sunday June 12th the following byes have been received for Round 6:
- Stephen Peak
- Bishop Everett
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for both grades is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes