A few no-shows complicated the draw this week (in two cases two players have now played each other twice). One player has managed to not turn up (without calling) in 3 rounds so far. They have been withdrawn from the competition.
I hope to do an other post or two later this week so keep an eye on the site. Please remember to enter the Club Champs soon.
Results from this week
- Round 6 pgn from Alex Nagorski
- Bruce Watson beat John Duneas on board 1 to hold his lead. Going into the last round he is a full point ahead of Hague, Ang and Ward (on 4.5)
- Another seven players are on 4 points due to draws compress the top of the field.
- Upsets this round included Andrew Michael beating Paul Macdonald in a long rook and pawn endgame.
- Scott Treanor also beat Caroline Yan to continue his excellent competition. He now has a performance rating over 2000 which is 400 rating points above is current rating.
- Richard Taylor also drew with Gordon Morrell and Keith Ward beat Simon Lyall.
- The Grade has Euan McDougall, Neil Sonnekus and Mike Steiner on 5 points who are a point ahead of a group on 4 points.
- Amusingly the leaders have all played each other.
- Euan beat Neil
- Neal beat Mike
- Mike beat Euan
- There were no major upsets this round.
The Vega website for the tournament is
As of Wednesday June 15th the following byes have been received for Round 7:
- Alexei Kulashko
- Keith Ward
- John Duneas
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for both grades is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes