Next week will be round 3 of the club champs and many players will not be playing due to the George Trundle tournament or other events. Please make sure you let Simon know if you are not playing. Especially if you are in the D Grade.
This week was fairly nice from a organiser’s perspective in that there were no unexpected no-shows. Please keep it up.
Results from this week
The PGN of Round 2 games is available, thanks again to Alex Nagorski.
- Gordon Morrell had some good chances against Alexei Kulashko but was unable to find the killer move.
- Similar Ben Hague steamrolled over Alphaeus Ang, checking him 19 moves in a row as he took 9 pieces and then checkmated.
- While John Duneas had some chances his game against Nathan Goodhue was drawn
- After getting into a nice position Mike Steadman blundered a piece and resigned to Gino Thornton
- Jasmine Zhang vs Tim Ha sew-sawed either way before Jasmine made the last mistake
- Simon Lyall vs Brett Rider saw Simon turn an even endgame into a loss.
- Don Eade’s all-out attack allowed Keith Ward to take 2 pieces when his Queen counter-attacked.
- Allen Fan slowly overpowered Alex Negorsky
- No upsets
- After several byes and draws towards the top of the grade there are now 3 people on 2 points but another 12 on 1.5 points.
- Major upsets were Kelvin Xiao drawing with Neil Sonnekus, Mathew Steadman drawing with Stephen peak and Renae Ghadiali beating Tom Fu
The Vega website for the tournament is
As of Thursday Night byes for Round 3 in D Grade:
- Kate Song
- Gaurav Pahuja
- Olivia Dong
- Winston Weng
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for D grade is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes