Things were back to normal this week after disruption from School Holidays.
- The new rating NZ list has come out, please have a look on the list to check you are listed correctly (I see at least one female player listed as male). I’ve updated Vega for the Club Champs with people’s new ratings
- To clarify the policy on byes for round robin tournaments: If you call you will normally get a half point bye. If you don’t call and don’t turn up then you will get zero points plus I’ll put you down for zero points the following week unless I hear from you.
- Apologies for the late start, it looks like I have to make sure I’m there early.
- Reminder to A,B and C grade people to sort out unplayed games. Unfortunately due to a Vega bug I can not give out a Half point each for unplayed games.
- Links to the Schedule for A,B and C grade are on the 2016 Tournaments page.
Results from Round 5
PGN file from Alex Nagorski
After being behind for most of the game Alphaeus got into a winning endgame but played some incorrect moves (I believe in time trouble) and drew against Alexei. Gong beat Goodhue and Watson settled for a draw against Steadman.
Lyall won after Eade made a mis-step in a sharp position. A close match between Tim Ha and Alex Nagorski was won by Tim after he ended up ahead in the endgame. Paul MacDonold had a slight lead for most of his game but Allen Fan managed to hold the draw. The Taylor vs Zhang game bounced around, Richard made a hopefully sacrifice then missed a good continuation. Jasmine eventually got into a winning position but allowed Richard to get a perpetual.
Andrew Michael Blundered a piece to Hilton Jacobs (although Hilton already had a Strong looking attack). Chris Joel missed an En-prix pawn in the middle of his position and Mike Steiner took it and won soon after. Sergiy Kozakevych ended up ahead out of the opening and under pressure Pouya Seifi lost a piece on move 17. Nicole Qin beat Scott Treanor
Temu Maroroa beat Aaron Wang to keep his outright lead. Major upsets were Eric Liang beating Mathew Steadman and Barry Jacob beating Jason Huang.
The Vega website for the tournament is
Links to the Schedule for A,B and C grade are on the 2016 Tournaments page.
As of Sunday Night byes for Round 5 in D Grade:
- Caroline Yan – Zero points
- Kate Song – Half point
- Sarah Yan – Zero points
- Olivia Dong – Zero points
- Andrie Toporkov – Zero Points
- Kimberley Yuan – Zero points
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for D grade is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes