The 2nd night of the Spring rapid was played on Sept 5th with the final 3 rounds being played. Nathan Goodhue and Bruce Wheeler were the joint winners.
- A reminder that several club members are representing New Zealand at the Chess Olympiad. Further information from the official website, or you can follow New Zealand via twitter, facebook or the chesschat website.
- Thank you to Tim Ha for setting up a Facebook Page for the Chess Centre. If you are on Facebook you might want to follow/like us.
- The Winter Cup be starting in on Monday the 12th of September. It will be 7 rounds with 2 round-robin grades of 8 players and swiss grade for everybody else. See the Vega page for the entries so far (Note all entries are in the C-Grade page for now). If you want to play then enter on the sheet at the club, email or txt before the tournament starts.
Winter Cup – Round 4
Going into the 3rd round of the Winter cup there were just 3 players on 3 points out of 3, Hilton Jacobs, Daniel Gong and Allen Fan. The match between Daniel and Hilton on the top saw an upset with Hilton winning giving him the outright lead (Allen lost to Mike Steadman on board 2). Further down the field Alphaeus Ang was lucky to beat newcomer Tomas Mad, Alex Huang drew with Bruce Watson, Temu Maroroa drew with Richard Taylor and Leo Li beat Mike Steiner
Hilton’s run was bought to a halt by Nathan Goodhue on the top board. The suspiciously low rated (1400!) Temu Maroroa once again got a upset further down the boards.
At the start of the round Nathan Goodhue had the sole led in the tournament with 4.5 points but there were another 6 players right behind him on 4.
On the Top board Nathan drew with Alphaeus Ang and boards 2 and 3 were also draws. However on board 4 Bruce Wheeler beat Richard Taylor to also jump to 5 points and 1st equal.
Upsets further down included Tom Fu beating Andrew Michael with a 712 point rating difference (Tom had 3 upsets last week), Lewis Jordan beating Alex Huang and Ying Wang upsetting Neil Sonnekus.
Results for the Spring Rapid 2016
1st= (5 points) Nathan Goodhue and Bruce Wheeler
3rd= (4.5 points) Hilton Jacobs, Alphaeus Ang, Bruce watson, Daniel Gong, Alex Nagorski, John Duneas, Keith Ward
Good performances included
- Hilton Jacobs ( 315 above rating)
- Jordon Lewis ( 336 above rating )
- Temu Maroroa ( 363 above rating)
- Tom Fu ( 726 above rating! )
- Leo Li ( 329 above rating )
- Ying Wang ( 393 above rating )
- Oscar Qin ( 238 above rating )
- Hugh Gao ( 356 above rating )
See the Vega page of the tournament for full details.