- We have just two more rounds to go and some of the grades are looking like they are close to be being decided.
- In A Grade Alexei Kulasko is now One point ahead of Bruce Watson, however Bruce has two games in hand
- In B Grade Allen Fan is one point ahead of Keith Ward but Allen still has a game in hand (although so does Keith)
- C Grade pretty much has all games Played and Hilton Jacobs has a lead of 1.5 points
- In D Grade Eric Wu is only half a point in the lead but has played and beaten most of those immediate behind him.
Results from Round 7
Round & PGN file from Alex Nagorski
- Alexei never seemed to give Daniel Gong a chance
- Gino and Alphaeus swapped into a draw
- Gordon Morrell sacrificed a piece for an attack, when it ran out of steam Nathan took a draw although the computer strongly preferred Nathans position.
- After a good start John Duneas’s position collapsed against Mike Steadman
- Bruce Watson and Ben Hague had a very exciting game that eventually ended in a draw.
- Don Eade and Tim Ha had a long game but Tim entered the endgame a pawn up and eventually broke though
- Simon Lyall had a bad start against Paul MacDonald and just when things were equalizing fatally opened the position.
- Keith and Alex had very interesting middle game. After some swaps they ended up with an opposite coloured Bishops and pawn endgame which greatly favoured Keith
- Richard Taylor made a couple of Tactical errors against Allen Fan
- Mike Steiner dropped two pawns and then a piece against Andrew Michael
- Hilton Jacobs ended up with a lovely combination of pawns and pieces that harassed Sergiy Kozakevych until they destroyed his position.
- Rodney Li and Chris Joel had a exciting game with some dubious tactics. Chris won
- Nice win by Scott Treanor over Pouya Seifi
The Vega website for the tournament is
Links to the Schedule for A,B and C grade are on the 2016 Tournaments page.
As of Wednesday Night byes for Round 8 in D Grade:
If you are unable to play please contact Simon Lyall either via text (021 575 233) or email to contact @ aucklandchess.nz . Normally you will get a half point bye. Please let us know as early as possible.
The draft draw for D grade is below. Please remember that this may change if there are additional byes